All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a member of the Pulitzer Prize jury, the late Frank McConnell helped science fiction gain standing as serious literature, evolving his presentation of the field over the course of his career. The 16 essays reveal that evolution as presented in papers at the prestigious Eaton Conferences. At first emphasizing that science fiction is primarily one of many forms of storytelling, McConnell gradually recognized science fiction as a modern expression of Gsticism, rejecting bodily concerns for an exclusive emphasis on spirituality. McConnell's essays cover such topics as H.G. Wells, science fiction in academia, and the role of genre in storytelling. A foreword by award-winning fantasy author Neil Gaiman and tributes by ted writers such as Gregory Benford, Harold Bloom, Howard V. Hendrix, and George Slusser are also included.
- Author BiographyFrank McConnell (1942-1999) was a professor of English at Northwestern University and the University of California - Santa Barbara. He wrote a regular column on the media for Commonweal magazine, and his voluminous body of work included four detective novels and a number of academic books. Gary Westfahl teaches at the University of California, Riverside. A prolific writer and Hugo Award - nominated editor, he earned the Science Fiction Research Association's Pilgrim Award for his lifetime contributions to science fiction and fantasy scholarship. He is the author of Hugo Gernsback and the Century of Science Fiction (2007). He lives in Claremont, California. Donald E. Palumbo is a professor of English at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina. He lives in Greenville. C.W. Sullivan III is also in the English department at East Carolina University.
- Author(s)Frank McConnell,Gary Westfahl
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/02/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCritical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 12
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight318 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byC. W. Sullivan,Donald E. Palumbo
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.