All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Missing a young girl, Dora Bruder, 15, height 1.55m, oval-shaped face, grey-brown eyes, grey sports jacket, maroon pullover, navy blue skirt and hat, brown gym shoes. All information to M. and Mme Bruder, 41 Boulevard Orna, Paris.' The author chanced upon this tice in a December 1941 issue of Paris Soir. The girl has vanished from the convent school which had taken her in during the Occupation. She had apparently run away on a bitterly cold night at a time of especially violent German reprisals. Moved by her fate, the author sets out to find all he can about her. Eventually he discovers her name in a list of Jews deported to Auschwitz in September 1942 and what further fragments he is able to uncover about the Bruder family become a meditation on the immense losses of the period - people lost, stories lost, human history lost. Modia delivers a moving survey of a decade-long investigation that revived for him the sights, sounds and sorrowful rhythms of occupied Paris. And in seeking to exhume Dora Bruder's fate, he in turn faces, and must come to terms with, his own family history.
- Author BiographyPATRICK MODIANO was born in an outlying quarter of Paris in 1945. He published his first novel, La Place de l'Etoile, when he was 21, and has made a distinguished career as a novelist ever since, winning the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2014. He has won the Grand Prix du Roman de l'Academie Francaise and the Prix Goncourt. His fiction is haunted by the trauma of the German Occupation of France, and this subject also features in the screenplay of Lacombe Lucien which he wrote for the film director Louis Malle. JOANNA KILMARTIN is the translator and editor of Marcel Proust's Selected Letters: Volume Four, 1918-1922. She has been awarded the Scott-Moncrieff translation prize twice: in 1971 for Sunlight on Cold Water by Francoise Segan, and in 1974 for Bernadini's Terrace by Suzanne Prou.
- Author(s)Patrick Modiano
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Harvill Press
- Weight142 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.