All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionAward-Winning Finalist in the Parenting & Family category of the 2016 Best Book Awards. Forget the gimmicks! To raise kids to become self-sufficient adults, they must work at a job outside of the family home. Dr. Eugene Helveston's common-sense advice is a welcome and refreshing alternative to the hand holding and hovering adults have been told is necessary. After many years of observation and research, he believes that when youth work during their Second Decade-the critical, formative years between 10 and 20-they become motivated and inspired to find meaningful work, which is a knack that can last a lifetime and lead them to happiness and self-sufficiency as adults. In The Second Decade, the author offers a game plan for navigating two of the most important challenges facing today's youth: gaining academic skills through a quality education and acquiring practical skills learned by working at a job. He also discusses: the importance of a formal education, basic life skills, the types of high schools and colleges available today, parenting styles, military service, mentoring, and IQ.
- Author BiographyEugene m. helveston, md, is emeritus professor of ophthalmology; founder of the section of Pediatric Ophthalmology; and former Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Indiana University School of Medicine, where he provided patient care and teaching, and carried out clinical research. During his career, he taught in forty-five states and also served as a volunteer surgeon and lecturer in fifty countries. In 2002, he founded an award-winning international telemedicine program to serve doctors and their patients in developing countries. After authoring hundreds of professional papers and three medical textbooks on pediatric ophthalmology and surgery for strabismus, he turned his attention to writing about the two things he felt had the most meaningful impact on his life: getting the best education for the career you want to pursue and working at a meaningful job starting at an early age. A native of Detroit, Michigan, and a graduate of the University of Michigan, Dr. Helveston has worked since early in his Second Decade. He believes this was the mortar that held together the bricks of his formal education-or maybe it was the other way around! He believes that helping children earn a high school diploma and encouraging them to find a job early in their Second Decade are two of the most important things parents, grandparents, and mentors can do to prepare youth for becoming happy and self-sufficient adults.
- Author(s)Eugene M Helveston MD
- PublisherMarli Bar Press
- Date of Publication04/05/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMarli Bar Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.