All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.39Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $23.45
About this product
- DescriptionSo begins the 'secret book' of Grazia dei Rossi -- a written legacy from a mother to her son. Heiress to a Jewish banking dynasty, secretary to the world-rewned Isabella d'Este, married to the Pope's Jewish body physician, and lover of the Christian Lord Pirro Gonzaga, Grazia dei Rossi is a woman suspended between two cultures, forced to choose between two men, two worlds.As a young girl, she falls in love with a Christian prince and is compelled to make a choice: either convert or give up the love of her life. Love wins out over duty. She enters the House of Converts to prepare herself for Christian marriage. But the Gonzaga family has other plans for their kinsman. He is whisked away to make a more suitable match and Grazia is left in disgrace both at court and with her own people. But Grazia is t destined to languish in misery. An unexpected marriage proposal saves her and she takes up life again as the wife of Judah del Medigo, esteemed as a scholar and physician, adviser to kings and popes. Under Judah's tutelage, Grazia begins her career as a scribe, scholar, and, eventually, confidential secretary to Isabella d'Este. Back in the world of courts and courtiers, she is once again impaled on the sharp horns of the old dilemma: love or duty. Her story, as it unfolds in her secret book, is the story of a woman determined to remain true to her own heart at all costs.Inspired by an actual letter from the period, author Jacqueline Park has created an unforgettable heroine -- a girl unafraid to petition a duke on behalf of an errant father, a woman unafraid to risk the scorn of her family for love. From townspeople gathering in cobblestone piazzas to the jewels circling a lady'sneck, first-time velist Park renders Renaissance Italy alive and palpable with the care of a master, weaving a shimmering tapestry that is both grand and intimate.
- Author Biography<b>Jacqueline Park</b> is the founding chairman of the Dramatic Writing Program and professor emerita at New York University s Tisch School of the Arts. She lives in Toronto.
- Author(s)Jacqueline Park
- PublisherHouse of Anansi Press
- Date of Publication17/03/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Series TitleGrazia Dei Rossi
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHouse of Anansi Press
- Weight862 g
- Width140 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.