All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMaking decisions is a critical part of every executive's job. However we kw so little about the often subliminal processes that shape the decisions we make. The Secret Life of Decisions exposes the unchallenged myths and distortions that impact our reasoning ability, raising our awareness of the many traps we can fall into. Meena Thuraisingham and her collaborator, Wolfgang Lehmacher, have drawn from decades of work with leaders showing that even the most talented leaders and teams can end up making sub-optimal decisions. This is rarely because they had poor critical thinking faculties but rather because they did t pay eugh attention to the often invisible traps hardwired into our thinking processes, letting through only information that conforms with our current beliefs, mental models and expectations. This leaves many leaders and businesses exposed. Rather than being the rational output of our reasoning abilities, the authors show decision making to be a highly imprecise process. As decision makers we come to the table armed with our own perspectives, preferences, filters, heuristics and biases, influenced by a broad range of social influences many operating subliminally. The Secret Life of Decisions is an essential read for developing and seasoned executives who have to work through increasingly complex and high stakes decisions. It treats choosing wisely and the thinking involved as a skill, which as with many other skills, can be improved with the guided practice and supporting tools provided here. The journey however starts with awareness that comes from outing the 'secret' forces that can sabotage the quality of our decisions.
- Author BiographyMeena Thuraisingham is an organisational psychologist and runs a niche consulting practice, TalentInvest. She has a career that spans 30 years working and consulting with global companies in organisational effectiveness and leadership development. She is also an accredited executive coach and works with top teams and individual executives to improve board and top team effectiveness. She has authored several papers and bestselling books. Wolfgang Lehmacher is Partner at the global strategy boutique CVA. He has over 20 years of experience in senior management and was President and CEO of GeoPost Intercontinental and member of the Board of GeoPost, the parcel holding of French La Poste. He is currently involved in several start-ups in Europe and Asia and has spoken at the World Economic Forum.
- Author(s)Meena Thuraisingham
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/01/2013
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGower Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIncludes 5 b&w illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.71
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.