All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Secret Life of Space is the definitive guide to understanding the key breakthroughs and discoveries mankind has made to unravel the mysteries of the Cosmos. This engaging and fast-paced narrative debunks the urban myths of astromy, revealing the true stories behind our biggest breakthroughs. Starting with the discovery that Stonehenge was actually built to celebrate the winter solstice rather than the summer, this book leads us through history to reveal that the telescope was t invented by Galileo, Einstein did t predict the presence of black holes or the Big Bang and Copernicus's theory that the Sun was at the centre of the Universe might have actually disappeared without a trace had it t been for the efforts of one of his fanatical disciples. Rewned scientists and authors Nigel Henbest and Heather Couper also uncover the unsung heroes and heroines who have been overlooked in the history of scientific endeavor. These stories include the computer engineer who discovered more exploding stars in his back garden than anyone else in history, the teacher who developed the basis for radio astromy and the sanitary engineer who found evidence of life on Mars. Finally, they look to today's increasing possibility of space travel as we push the frontiers of discovery and ask the perennial question, is there life out there?
- Author BiographyHEATHER COUPER is best known for her television work which has raised the profile of astronomy in the public eye. As well as writing numerous books and articles, Professor Couper was the President of the British Astronomical Association from 1984-1986 and is a Fellow of both the Royal Astronomical Society and the Institute of Physics: Asteroid 3922 Heather is named in her honour. In 2008 she presented Cosmic Quest, a 30-part series on the history of astronomy BBC Radio 4. She was awarded the CBE for services to science in 2007. NIGEL HENBEST is a leading science writer, specialising in astronomy and space. He is a prolific author, having written 40 books and over 1000 articles which have been translated into 27 languages, as well as writing and producing many international television programmes on the Universe. Professor Henbest has been Astronomy Consultant for New Scientist magazine, editor of the Journal of the British Astronomical Associationand media consultant for the Royal Greenwich Observatory. A respected commentator on human spaceflight, he is signed up as a future astronaut with Virgin Galactic.
- Author(s)Heather Couper,Nigel Henbest
- PublisherAurum Press Ltd
- Date of Publication14/05/2015
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAurum Press Ltd
- Content Note8 page colour plate section
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.82Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.