All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.31Trending at AU $28.10
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.96
About this product
- DescriptionNovelist Will Thomas had been a logger in Maine, a crew member on a fishing boat in Alaska, a prizefighter on the West Coast, a scriptwriter in Los Angeles, and a journalist in Kansas City, Chicago, and New York. In 1946 he, his wife, and three children abandoned a plan to move to Haiti to escape racial prejudice in the United States. Instead, they made the improbable decision to purchase a home in tiny Westford, Vermont, twenty miles rtheast of Burlington. At the time, the Thomases were the only n-white members of the community. The Seeking is the grim account of the Thomases' lives before Vermont, their decision to give living in America one last chance, and the moving, heartfelt, uplifting story of their time among the people of Westford-a life, writes Thomas, t based on race, but on what we and they [were] like as human beings. Back in print for the first time in fifty years, this edition includes a new introduction that situates The Seeking in the can of twentieth-century black literature, and a new afterword that follows the fortunes of Thomas and his family in the years after its initial publication. With appearances by the author's table friends, including the velist Chester Himes and sociologist Horace Cayton, Jr., The Seeking is both a story of one remarkable African-American family and a story of New England race relations in the first half of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyWILL THOMAS (pseudonym of William Smith, 1900 1970) was the author of the novel God Is for White Folks, published in 1947. MARK J. MADIGAN (introduction) is professor of English at Nazareth College. DAN GEDIMAN (afterword) is executive director of This I Believe, Inc.
- Author(s)Will Thomas
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication03/09/2013
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNortheastern University Press
- Weight376 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDan Gediman,Mark J. Madigan
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.