All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe peculiar dilemma of the self in our era has been ted by a wide range of writers, even as they have emphasized different aspects of that dilemma, such as the self s alienation, disorientation, inflation, or fragmentation. In The Self: Beyond the Postmodern Crisis, Paul C. Vitz and Susan M. Felch bring together scholars from the disciplines of psychology, philosophy, theology, literature, biology, and physics to address the inadequacies of modern and postmodern selves and, ultimately, to suggest what an alternative, transmodern account of the self might look like. The transmodern self, the editors argue, ackwledges meaning and purpose transcending the individual. In other words, it reflects an understanding of the human person that is t only intimately connected with the Judeo-Christian tradition but also rejects the twin delusions of absolute automy and cosmic meaninglessness that mark the present age.
- Author BiographyPaul C. Vitz is Professor Emeritus of Psychology at New York University. His books include Sigmund Freud s Christian Unconscious ; Psychology as Religion: The Cult of Self-Worship and Faith of the Fatherless: The Psychology of Atheism. Susan M. Felch is Professor of English at Calvin College. She is the editor of The Collected Works of Anne Vaughan Lock and (with Paul J. Contino) Bakhtin and Religion: A Feeling for Faith.
- PublisherISI Books
- Date of Publication15/04/2006
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationWilmington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintISI Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight667 g
- Width155 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byPaul C. Vitz,Susan M. Felch
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $115.99Trending at AU $139.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.00
- AU $68.62Trending at AU $90.31
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $37.74Trending at AU $39.42
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.81
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.