Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionThe Renaissance refers to an era when art, culture and philosophy underwent a revolutionary rebirth. New ideas progressed alongside new ways of communicating them, and where is this more visible than in the world of Renaissance art. In The Sensory World of Italian Renaissance Art , Francois Quiviger explores the ways in which sensation began to take on a new significance in the art of the sixteenth century. The book discusses the presence and function of sensation in Renaissance ideas and practices, investigating their link to mental imagery and shows how Renaissance artists made touch, sound and scent palpable to the minds of their audience. Quiviger points to the shifts in ideas and theories on representation, which were evolving throughout the sixteenth century, and explains how this shaped early-modern tions of art, spectatorship and artistic creation. By setting Renaissance art and ideas on representation side-by-side in the same intellectual environment, The Sensory World of Italian Renaissance Art presents a comprehensive study of Renaissance theories of art in the context of the actual works. Beautifully illustrated and extensively researched, it will appeal to students and scholars of art history, and anyone interested in this fascinating cultural period.
- Author BiographyFrancois Quiviger is a librarian at the Warburg Institute. He is the author of several books including Imagining and Composing Stories in the Renaissance and Seeing and Looking in the Renaissance.
- Author(s)Francois Quiviger
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication14/06/2010
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note40 black & white illustrations, 60 colour illustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width138 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.