All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the relationship between women and property in the Greek lands and their broader social position in the century that culminated with the establishment of the national Greek state (1750-1850). Doxiadis focuses on the status and rights of Greek women in the later Ottoman period, the decade-long Greek War of Independence, and the first decades of the Greek state, seeking to reveal the impact that the pursuit of modernization by the early Greek governments had on women. Through the systematic examination of numerous legal documents in tarial archives from four distinct regions (Naxos, Mykos, Athens, and Leonidio), the position of women in Greek societies of the period is illuminated in all its complexity and regional diversity. Special emphasis is placed on women's ability in some areas to defend their property rights and be active ecomic agents. Although the Greek revolutionaries and the Greek state did t curtail the rights of women with respect to property, the very institutions that were fundamental in the creation of the Greek state transformed the established relationship between women and property. Doxiadis shows that modernization proved to be an oppressive force for Greek women - though in a much more clandestine fashion than perhaps expected in other European states.
- Author BiographyEvdoxios Doxiadis is Lecturer at the International Center for Hellenic and Mediterranean Studies, Athens.
- Author(s)Evdoxios Doxiadis
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication03/02/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleCultural Politics, Socioaesthetics, Beginnings
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note32 tables
- Weight567 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.34
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.