All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDo energy-efficient cars have to be boring? Are green buildings necessarily unsightly? Is sustainability incompatible with beauty? Lance Hosey's answer is a resounding , and in The Shape of Green he argues that for far too long sustainable design has neglected aesthetics. If green is to fulfil its promise, it must be both efficient and appealing. Hosey shows how design at all scales, from products to buildings to cities, can effectively marry art and science. In addition to examining fundamental principles of aesthetics - what makes something attractive or emotionally pleasing - Hosey connects them with down-to-earth design challenges. How can a city become both energy-efficient and comforting? Could buildings be constructed of porous materials that simultaneously capture carbon dioxide and soothe the skin? What can a child's love of a shabby old stuffed animal teach designers about how to captivate consumers and lengthen the lives of their products? Hosey's refreshing analysis represents an important step toward making beauty an essential part of green design. He believes the design community is up to the challenge and that designers can promote sustainability by embracing what they have always cared about most - the basic shape of things.
- Author BiographyLance Hosey, is an architect, designer, and writer, and President and CEO of GreenBlue, a non-profit organisation that works to make products more sustainable. He previously he held the position of Director with William McDonough + Partners. He lives in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Author(s)Lance Hosey
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication23/07/2012
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Note60 figures & photos
- Weight544 g
- Width201 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.