All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fascinating, mind-boggling account of young athletes in their prime destroyed in the hell of war. A mesmerizing view of cycling in its golden age, and the darkness that followed. On June 28, 1914, one hundred and forty-five riders lined up in a suburb of Paris at 3 a.m. to start the first stage of the Tour de France. The race, which had been founded just a decade earlier, had grown to become the biggest bicycle race in the world. The riders did t kw it at the time, but as they raced, an event was taking place on the opposite side of Europe which would change all of their lives forever: Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, triggering World War I. While racing went on in France, a diplomatic crisis had started that would try but fail to avert war. Shortly after the finish of the race, France mobilized its troops and went to war with Germany. The organizer of the Tour de France, Henri Desgrange, despite being fifty years old, enrolled in the army shortly afterwards and encouraged the cyclists to do the same. The war would see over 16 million soldiers and civilians die. Many of the riders from that Tour de France did t return, and three previous winners of the race would be among those killed in action. The Shattered Peloton tells the story of that Tour de France and what happened to the top cyclists of the day during the course of the war. A brilliant, disturbing, important book for anyone with an interest in cycling or military history.
- Author BiographyGraham Healy is a keen cyclist and writer from Dublin, Ireland. He is the author of The Curse of the Rainbow Jersey: Cycling's Most Infamous Superstition, and a biography of an Irish cyclist, Shay Elliott: The Life and Death of Ireland's First Yellow Jersey.
- Author(s)Graham Healy
- PublisherBreakaway Books
- Date of Publication27/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBreakaway Books
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight259 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Textbooks
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.