All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a dense yellow fog swirls through the streets of London, a deep melancholy has descended on Sherlock Holmes, who sits in a cocaine-induced haze at 221B Baker Street. His mood is only lifted by a visit from a beautiful but distressed young woman - Mary Morstan, whose father vanished ten years before. Four years later she began to receive an exquisite gift every year: a large, lustrous pearl. Now she has had an intriguing invitation to meet her unkwn benefactor and urges Holmes and Watson to accompany her. And in the ensuing investigation - which involves a wronged woman, a stolen hoard of Indian treasure, a wooden-legged ruffian, a helpful dog and a love affair - even the jaded Holmes is moved to exclaim, 'Isn't it gorgeous!'
- Author BiographySir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) was born in Edinburgh where he qualified as a doctor, but it was his writing which brought him fame, with the creation of Sherlock Holmes, the first scientific detective. He was also a convert to spiritualism and a social reformer who used his investigative skills to prove the innocence of individuals. Peter Ackroyd is a writer of novels including, 'Milton in America' and 'Hawksmoor', and of biographies of Chatterton, Dickens, William Blake and Thomas More.
- Author(s)Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication05/07/2001
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight123 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Edited byEd Glinert
- Introduction byPeter Ackroyd
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $32.26
- AU $75.03Trending at AU $77.30
- AU $60.07Trending at AU $61.06
- AU $29.90Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $12.58Trending at AU $13.10
- AU $46.01Trending at AU $53.33
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $50.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.