All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionW. Somerset Maugham was one of the seminal writers of the twentieth century, and his travel writing has long been considered among his finest work. Now, acclaimed travel writer Pico Iyer maps out a masterful tour of these vivid, evocative pieces that are collected here for the first time. Maugham worked as a secret agent in Russia, published vels in London, staged plays in New York, and traveled throughout Europe, Asia, India, and the United States, chronicling his travels, wherever he went, with exceptional insight. Beginning with In the Land of the Blessed Virgin and culminating in A Partial View, Iyer selects vignettes of Maugham's razor-sharp prose that track his transformation from a boyish traveler in Spain to a worldly man of letters. This is Maugham at his most keenly observant, direct, and powerful.
- Author BiographyW. Somerset Maugham, author of such novels as Cakes and Ale and Of Human Bondage, was born in 1874 and died in 1965. His books have sold nearly 40 million copies. Pico Iyer is the author of many books about travel, including Video Night in Kathmandu. His most recent book is The Open Road.
- Author(s)W Somerset Maugham
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleEveryman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight381 g
- Width133 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byPico Iyer
- Introduction byPico Iyer
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $20.72Trending at AU $24.89
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $41.14
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $12.80Trending at AU $14.33
- AU $23.55Trending at AU $29.98
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $14.10
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.