All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1890, The Snake's Pass was published in serialized form in the periodical The People. It is the story of Arthur Severn, an Englishman who has inherited wealth and a title through an aunt who took him under her wing to the exclusion of closer relations. His inheritance includes land in Ireland, and w that he is a man of leisure, he decides to tour the west of Ireland. As Bram Stoker's first full-length vel, The Snake's Pass is a heady blend of romance, travel narrative, adventure tale, folk tradition, and national tale. This early vel shows that, long before Dracula, Stoker used the genre of the vel to engage with questions of identity, gender, ethnic stereotype, and imperialism. In this critical edition, Buchelt offers detailed and studied insight into both the vel and Stoker's life, demonstrating the significance of The Snake's Pass within the can of late Victorian literature. The supplementary textual tes, scholarly material, and critical responses enhance the vel without distracting from the text. Readers will find a complexly layered and nuanced work that presents a pointed critique of British cultural attitudes and political positions concerning the Irish and Ireland.
- Author BiographyLisabeth C. Buchelt is associate professor in the English Department at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, USA.
- Author(s)Bram Stoker
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication18/09/2015
- LanguageEnglish, Multiple languages
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleIrish Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edited byLisabeth C. Buchelt
- Introduction byLisabeth C. Buchelt
- Edition StatementCritical edition
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $72.43
- AU $86.86Trending at AU $98.06
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $82.56
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $16.20
- AU $14.54Trending at AU $15.32
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.48
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $23.88
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.