All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStereotyping - the process of perceiving and reacting to people in terms of their group membership - is a widespread phemen, and one of the most widely investigated topics in social psychology. This new book is about the causes and consequences of stereotyping. It begins from the premise that, in order to understand the nature and function of stereotyping, it is essential to understand its role in, and relationship to, the activities of social groups. In so doing, it provides an alternative to more cognitive approaches that regard stereotyping primarily as a bias produced by the limits of individual information processing.The contributors debate and challenge a range of traditional beliefs about stereotyping by exploring its social functions in intergroup contexts. They also tackle a range of thorny problems in sterotyping and related literatures: including the question of sterotype accuracy, why stereotypes develop and are widely shared, and how stereotypes and sterotyping impact upon people's self-esteem and self-definition. In short, this book examines how stereotypes are structured by social identities and the relations between groups.
- Author BiographyRussell Spears is Professor of Psychology at the University of Amsterdam. Penelope J. Oakes is a Senior Lecturer in psychology at the Australian National University. Naomi Ellemers is a Lecturer at the Free University of Amsterdam. S. Alexander Haslam is a Lecturer at the Australian National University.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication05/12/1996
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight772 g
- Width166 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byNaomi Ellemers,Penelope J. Oakes,Russell Spears,S. Alexander Haslam
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.71
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.