All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
About this product
- DescriptionThis title offers modern translations of timeless poems. This collection of modern translations of eighty poems provides a pleasant, thought-provoking reminder of love's vagaries as captured through the wit, charm, and insight of the master poets of antiquity. All the emotions and experiences associated with love - rejection, infatuation, ecstasy, desperation, loneliness - are rendered accessible to contemporary readers through this lively, modern, yet faithful English translation of works that date from the seventh century B.C. to the sixth century A.D. Featured are selections from the more than four thousand epigrams that make up the Greek Anthology, a collection compiled in the tenth century by the Byzantine scholar Kephalas. Also included are works by the early iambic and elegiac poet Archilochos and the lyric poems of Sappho and Anakreon. The illustrations that accompany the poetry capture both the flavor of the age and the theme of the texts.
- Author BiographyBradley P. Nystrom is coeditor and translator of two anthologies of ancient Greek and Latin texts and is the coauthor of The History of Christianity: An Introduction. He teaches in the Department of Humanities and Religious Studies at California State University - Sacramento.
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2009
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Content Note18 illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Claudette Sherbert Little
- Translated byBradley P. Nystrom
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.