Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionSwift yet resonant, this masterful new verse translation conveys the immediacy, intimacy, and power of this greatest of Old French epic poems. John DuVal approaches the unadorned syntax of The Song of Roland in straightforward modern English, attuned to the nuance and detail of the narrative and the poetry of the original text. In his concise but thorough general Introduction, David Staines traces the origins of the poem and its reception in medieval society, discusses its content and its themes, and in clear, accessible prose illuminates the epic poems chivalric spirit. Foottes provide glosses on events, characters, and medieval terms. Endtes discuss editorial and translational issues. This edition also includes a selected bibliography, a map, and a glossary and index. An appendix provides the entire text of the Old French original.
- Author BiographyJohn DuVal is Professor of English at the University of Arkansas. David Staines is Professor of English at the University of Ottawa.
- Author(s)John DuVal
- PublisherHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Weight418 g
- Width9 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Introduction byDavid Staines
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.