All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Now in paperback--<i>Kitchen Confidential</i> meets <i>Heat </i>in the first behind-the-scenes portrait of the world's most influential restaurant and the aspiring culinary geniuses who toiled to make it so exceptional. </b> WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENES AT ELBULLI? Elected best restaurant in the world by <i>Restaurant </i>magazine an unprecedented five times, elBulli is where chef Ferran Adrià's remarkable cuisine comes to life--with dragon cocktails that make the drinker breathe smoke and caviar made from tiny spheres of olive oil. elBulli is also the object of culinary pilgrimage--millions clamor every year for a reservation at one of its tables. Yet few people kw that, behind each of the thirtyor more courses that make up a meal at elBulli, a small army of stagiaires--apprentice chefs--labor at the precise, exhausting work of executing Adrià's astonishing vision. In <i>The Sorcerer's Apprentices: A Season in the Kitchenat Ferran Adrià's elBulli, </i>Lisa Abend explores the remarkable system that Adria uses to run his restaurant and, in the process, train the next generation of culinary stars. Granted more access to Adrià and the elBulli kitchen than any other writer in the restaurant's history, Abend follows thirty-five young men and women as they struggle to master the cutting-edge techniques, grueling hours, furious creativity, and interpersonal tensions that come with working at this celebrated institution. Her lively narrative captures a great cast, including a young Korean cook who camps on the doorstep of elBulli until he is allowed to work in the kitchen; an ambitious chef from one of Switzerland's top restaurants struggling to create his own artistic vision of cuisine; and an American couple whose relationship may t withstand the unique pressures of the restaurant. What emerges is an irresistible tale of aspiring young talents caught, for good or ill, in the opportunity of a lifetime. Taken together, their stories form a portrait of the international team that helps make a meal at elBulli so memorable. They also reveal a Ferran Adrià few ever see, one who is t only a genius chef and artist but also a boss, teacher, taskmaster, businessman, and sometimes- flawed human being. Today, food has become the focus of unprecedented attention, and <i>The Sorcerer's Apprentices </i>also explores the strange evolution--in less than two decades--of a once-maligned profession into a source of celebrity.
- Author Biography<b>Lisa Abend </b>has been <i>Time</i>'s correspondent in Spain for the past three years. Her work has also appeared in <i>Bon Appetit</i>, <i>Gourmet</i>, <i>Food and Wine</i>, <i>The Atlantic</i>, and other publications.
- Author(s)Lisa Abend
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.