All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionImmortalized in the film <i>A League of Their Own</i>, the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League debuted in 1943 as a way to fill ballpark seats should Major League Baseball suspend operations during World War II. Any fan expecting to see a watered-down version of the game was in for quite a surprise. The women on the field proved every bit as tough and competitive as their male counterparts, running with abandon, diving for catches, and sliding fearlessly, all while wearing uniforms with short skirts. This work examines the history of the league as seen through the eyes of the players and management and the experiences of the South Bend Blue Sox--one of only two teams to play in all 12 seasons of the league. Although players never saw themselves as revolutionaries, these daring heroines helped pave the way toward greater freedom of choice for the generations of women who followed.
- Author Biography<b>Jim Sargent</b>, a longtime professor of American history, retired as dean of the Social Science Division at Virginia Western Community College in 2010. Before that, he taught on the college and university level for more than 30 years. He lives in Roanoke, Virginia. <b>Robert M. Gorman</b> is a retired university reference librarian with over 40 years of professional research experience. He and coauthor David Weeks received the 2009 Sporting News-SABR Baseball Research Award for the first edition of <i>Death at the Ballpark</i> (McFarland, 2009). Visit his website at: Death at the Ballpark--The Blog. He lives in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
- Author(s)Jim Sargent,Robert M. Gorman
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width7 mm
- Height10 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.