All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionNakamura Taisaburo's landmark book on the art of the sword includes technical information, thoughtful analysis, and fascinating recollections of his own training and teaching. One of the most famous Japanese swordsmen of the twentieth century, Nakamura sensei is widely ackwledged as the preeminent reinvigorator of the practice of tameshigiri (test cutting) as a test of technical and spiritual mastery. The Spirit of the Sword--first published in Japanese in 1980, w translated into English for the first time--is regarded by many as the most complete of Nakamura's writings on Japanese swordsmanship. Here Nakamura instructs the reader on the integration of iaido, kendo, and tameshigiri; the correct mental approach to sword practice; training methods; numerous kata or forms; a guide to sword maintenance; and historical tes on the use of the sword as a weapon. Illustrated with over 800 original photographs, this book is a must-have for any student of the Japanese sword and an excellent resource for sword enthusiasts in general.
- Author BiographyNakamura Taisaburo (1912-2003) was a renowned sword master and the founder of the Nakamura-ryu style of sword arts. He was the chief instructor of the All-Japan Toyama-ryu Iaido Federation and the head of the All-Japan Battojutsu Federation. He held a 9th-dan rank in Battojutsu and Iaido as well as an 8th-dan rank in Jukendo and a 7th-dan rank in Kendo. Gavin J. Poffley has a master's degree in Japanese translation from the School of Oriental and African Studies and has also studied at Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and Hiroshima University, writing dissertations on the modernization of Japan's martial arts and the history of Okinawan karate. He has dan ranks in Shorin-ryu karate and Dentokan aiki-jujutsu as well as experience in many other systems. Gavin currently resides in East London with his wife, Taeko.
- Author(s)Nakamura Taisaburo
- PublisherNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication11/03/2013
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlue Snake Books
- Content Note800 Black and White Photographs
- Weight612 g
- Width178 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $102.82
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $57.63Trending at AU $60.49
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.