All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGrowing inequality within Chinese society has led to public indignation, petitions to Party and state agencies, strikes, and large-scale protests. This book examines the intersection between the Chinese government's preoccupation with the protection of social stability (weiwen), and its legal commitments to protect human rights. Drawing on case studies, Sarah Biddulph examines China's response to labour unrest, medical disputes, and public anger over forced housing demolition. The result is a detailed analysis of the multiple and shifting ways stability imperatives impinge on the legal definition and implementation of human rights in China.
- Author BiographySarah Biddulph is an Australian Research Council Future Fellow (2014-18) and professor of law at the University of Melbourne Law School. She specializes in the research and teaching of Chinese law. Her research focuses on the Chinese legal system with a particular emphasis on legal policy, law making, and enforcement as they affect the administration of justice in China. Her particular areas of research are contemporary Chinese administrative law, criminal procedure, labour, comparative law, and the law regulating social and economic rights. Her recent publications include: Legal Reform and Administrative Detention Powers in China (2007) and Law and Fair Work in China: Making and Enforcing Labour Standards in the PRC (2013), co-authored with Sean Cooney and Ying Zhu.
- Author(s)Sarah Biddulph
- PublisherUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2016
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleAsia-Pacific Legal Culture and Globalization
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Weight481 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.