All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $41.02Trending at AU $43.51
- AU $19.73Trending at AU $22.71
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.68
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the acclaimed author of The Last First Day, here is a beautiful new period vel: a nineteenth-century story of female empowerment before its time, based on the life of Caroline Herschel, sister of the great composer and astromer William Herschel and an astromer in her own right. This exquisitely imagined vel opens as William rescues Caroline from a life of drudgery in Germany and brings her to England and a world of music making and stargazing. Lina, as Caroline is kwn, serves as William's assistant and the captain of his exhilaratingly busy household. William is generous, wise, and charismatic, an obsessive genius whom Lina adores and serves with the fervency of a beloved wife. When William suddenly anunces that he will be married, Lina watches her world collapse. With her characteristically elegant prose, Carrie Brown creates from history a compelling story that interweaves familial collaboration and conflict with a haunting exploration of the sublime beauty of astromy and our small but essential place within a vast and astonishing cosmos. Through Lina's trials and successes we witness the dawning of an early feminist consciousness--a woman struggling to find her own place among the stars.
- Author BiographyCARRIE BROWN is the author of seven novels and a collection of short stories. She has received many honors for her work, including a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship, the Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers Award, the Janet Heidinger Kafka Prize, the Great Lakes Book Award, and the Annual Library of Virginia Literary Award (twice). Her short fiction and essays have appeared in many literary journals. She and her husband, the novelist John Gregory Brown, live in Massachusetts, where they teach at Deerfield Academy.
- Author(s)Carrie Brown
- PublisherPantheon Books
- Date of Publication19/01/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPantheon Books
- Weight499 g
- Width150 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.