All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.63
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.93
- AU $12.76Trending at AU $15.16
- AU $11.68Trending at AU $16.47
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $19.46Trending at AU $21.68
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.28
About this product
- DescriptionDoctor John Dolittle is the central character of a series of children's books by Hugh Lofting starting with the 1920 The Story of Doctor Dolittle. He is a doctor who shuns human patients in favour of animals, with whom he can speak in their own languages. He later becomes a naturalist, using his abilities to speak with animals to better understand nature and the history of the world. Doctor Dolittle first saw light in the author's illustrated letters to children, written from the trenches during World War I when actual news, he later said, was either too horrible or too dull. The stories are set in early Victorian England, where Doctor John Dolittle lives in the fictional village of Puddleby-on-the-Marsh in the West Country. Doctor Dolittle has a few close human friends, including Tommy Stubbins and Matthew Mugg, the Cats'-Meat Man. The animal team includes Polynesia (a parrot), Gub-Gub (a pig), Jip (a dog), Dab-Dab (a duck), Chee-Chee (a monkey), Too-Too (an owl), the Pushmi-pullyu, and a White Mouse later named simply Whitey.
- Author BiographyHugh John Lofting (14 January 1886 - 26 September 1947) was a British author, trained as a civil engineer, who created the character of Doctor Dolittle - one of the classics of children's literature.
- Author(s)Hugh Lofting
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication26/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight163 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.