All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.98Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
- AU $30.79Trending at AU $36.54
About this product
- DescriptionMary Jones was poor and illiterate. She learned to read and walked two miles to study a neighbor's Bible. A resolution became fixed in her mind that she must have a Bible of her own. For six years she did odd jobs for halfpennies, until she had eugh to buy a Bible. One bright morning she walked barefoot 25 miles to buy the Bible. When she reached Mr. Charles, he said that he did t have any Bibles for sale. Mary broke down and wept bitterly, and his heart was so touched that he could t deny her a Bible. Mr. Charles, deeply moved by Mary's story, was taken by conviction to supply Bibles for all of Wales. He petitioned before the Religious Tract Society in London, and was warmly received. In March, 1804, the British and Foreign Bible Society was established for the purpose of Bible distribution worldwide and is still active today. If but one heart is moved by the perusal of these pages to more earnest work Mary Jones, for the Master, to self-denial and loving service in the spread of His truth; to a more eager study of God's Word, and a greater zeal in circulating and making it kwn among others-then indeed this little story of the poor Welsh girl and her Bible will t have been written in vain.
- Author BiographyMARY EMILY ROPES (1842-1932) was born in St. Petersburg, Russia. Her father was William Hooper Ropes, a merchant in Russia. While young she lived in St. Petersburg, Russia, then moved to London and spent her later life in Wales. She wrote about Russian life with her brother, Adrian Ross (Arthur R. Ropes), in the book On Peter's Island. Another popular story was Mary Jones and Her Bible.
- Author(s)Mary E Ropes
- Date of Publication22/05/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight168 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.