All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $56.35Trending at AU $60.64
- AU $19.09Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $74.28Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $47.17Trending at AU $59.70
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Submerged Plot and the Mother s Pleasure from Jane Austen to Arundhati Roy, Kelly A. Marsh examines the familiar, overt plot of the motherless daughter growing into maturity and argues that it isaccompanied by a covert plot. Marsh s insightful analyses of nineteenth- and twentieth-century Anglophone vels reveal that these vels are far richer and more complexly layered than the overt plot alone suggests. According to Marsh, as the daughter approaches adulthood and marriage, she seeks validation for her pleasure in her mother s story. However, because the mother s pleasure is taboo under patriarchy and is therefore unnarratable, the daughter must seek her mother s story by repeating it. These repetitions alert us to the ways the two plots are intertwined and alter our perception of the narrative progression. Combining feminist and rhetorical narratological approaches, Marsh s study offers fresh readings of Persuasion, Jane Eyre, Bleak House, The Woman in White, The House of Mirth, The Last September, The Color Purple, A Thousand Acres, Bastard Out of Carolina, Talking to the Dead, and The God of Small Things. Through these readings, The Submerged Plot and the Mother s Pleasure explores how the unnarratable can be communicated in fiction and offers a significant contribution to our understanding of narrative progression.
- Author BiographyKelly A. Marsh is Associate Professor of English at Mississippi State University.
- Author(s)Kelly A Marsh
- PublisherOhio State University Press
- Date of Publication28/01/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleTheory Interpretation Narrativ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio State University Press
- Weight522 g
- Width160 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.