All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy 1903, more than fifty years of peaceful campaigning had brought British women closer to attaining the right to vote. In that year activist Emmeline Pankhurst founded the Women's Social and Political Union, a militant organization dedicated to achieving women's suffrage. The union's motto, Deeds t words, reflected its radical approach, consisting of stone-throwing, window-breaking, arson, and physical confrontation with authorities. The Suffragette, written by Emmeline Pankhurst's daughter, Sylvia, offers an insider's perspective on the union's growth and development as well as the motives and ideals that inspired its leaders and followers. She chronicles the protesters' tactics as well as the consequences of their actions: arrests, imprisonment, hunger strikes, and the mental and physical ordeals of forced feeding. Vintage photographs illustrate the demonstrations, courtroom trials, and other dramatic incidents from the history of the women's militant suffrage movement.
- Author BiographySylvia Pankhurst was a feminist, Communist, and anti-Fascist activist in Great Britain during the period before World War I. She and her mother, Emmeline Pankhurst, and her sister, Christabel Pankhurst, were active in the suffragette movement from 1906 to 1914. Emmeline Pankhurst founded the Women's Franchise League and the Women's Social and Political Union. Time magazine deemed her among the most important figures of the twentieth century, and she is recognized as one of the most influential suffragettes in the United Kingdom and the United States. She was integral to the militancy of the movement, encouraging vandalism, trespass, and hunger strikes in support of the cause.
- Author(s)Sylvia Pankhurst
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine30 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.