All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhether by choice or t, the West finds itself in a low-grade yet bitter war with Islamic fanaticism. It is a war the West is singularly ill-equipped to fight. The foe is resistant to any of the rmal methods of conflict resolution such as negotiation, ecomic sanctions, or conventional armed confrontation. Since the Enlightenment, the West has forgotten how to oppose fanaticism, and it is Lee Harris's goal to remind us what we are up against. In The Suicide of Reason , he explains the logic of fanatical movements from the Crusades through Nazism to radical Islam describes how the Enlightenment overcame fanatical thinking in the West shows why most Western attempts to address the problem are doomed to fail and offers strategies by which liberal internationalism can defend itself without becoming a mirror of the tribal forces it is trying to defeat.
- Author BiographyLee Harris is the author of Civilization and Its Enemies: The Next Stage of History and a frequent contributor to Policy Review, the Wall Street Journal's Opinion Journal,&rdquo and other publications, both print and online. He lives in Stone Mountain, Georgia.
- Author(s)Lee Harris
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication22/07/2008
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBasic Books
- Weight283 g
- Width137 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.