All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOlga Trujillo's childhood was marked by such extensive violence and sexual abuse that she developed the ability to observe scenes from her life as though they were happening to someone else. Blocking herself from the terrors of her real life, Olga began to go away in her head and create alternate senses of herself, or parts -distinct personalities that allowed her to compartmentalize and temporarily forget her father's attacks so that she could make friends and attend school like any other child. Dissociative identity disorder (DID) had taken hold. Formerly kwn as multiple personality disorder, DID helped Olga to function, but this disorder is associated with horrifying flashbacks, suicidal thoughts, mood swings, memory loss, panic attacks, and the confusion of t kwing one's true identity. The Sum of My Parts is the story of Trujillo's courageous struggle to understand and overcome the psychological aftereffects of her abusive childhood and an inspiring look into the remarkable power of the human brain to protect itself at all costs. After years of relying on a complex network of fragmented memories in order to function and survive, Olga learns to integrate her parts through psychotherapy and begins to see the whole picture of her life for the first time. Today, Olga Trujillo is an attorney, speaker, and advocate for victims of domestic violence and child abuse. This memoir of triumph over the most devastating conditions will enlighten and inspire anyone whose life has been affected by violence, abuse, or trauma.
- Author BiographyOlga Trujillo, JD, is an attorney who works with communities on issues involving domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault, and the impact of trauma. A nationally renowned speaker, she has appeared in several training videos on domestic violence, including Cut it Out and A Survivor's Story. She has received the Bud Cramer Leadership Award from the National Children's Alliance and the Sunshine Lady Foundation Peace Award. Olga lives with her partner Casey, dogs, and cats on a small farm in Wisconsin.
- Author(s)Olga Trujillo
- PublisherNew Harbinger Publications
- Date of Publication02/02/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationOakland, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Harbinger Publications
- Weight360 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.