All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA brave mouse, a covetous rat, a wishful serving girl, and a princess named Pea come together in Kate DiCamillo's Newbery Medal winning tale. Welcome to the story of Despereaux Tilling, a mouse who is in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of a rat called Roscuro, who lives in the darkness and covets a world filled with light. And it is the story of Miggery Sow, a slow-witted serving girl who harbors a simple, impossible wish. These three characters are about to embark on a journey that will lead them down into a horrible dungeon, up into a glittering castle, and, ultimately, into each other's lives. What happens then? As Kate DiCamillo would say: Reader, it is your destiny to find out. With black-and-white illustrations and a refreshed cover by Timothy Basil Ering.
- Author BiographyKate DiCamillo lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She is the author of BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE, a Newbery Honor book, and THE TIGER RISING, which was a National Book Award Finalist. Kate DiCamillo says, A few years ago, my best friend s son asked me if I would write a story for him. Well, I said, I don t normally write stories on command. But this is a story that I know you would want to tell, he said. It s about an unlikely hero. He has exceptionally large ears. What happens to this hero? I asked. I don t know, he said. That s why I want you to write it down, so we can find out. Well, Luke Bailey, three years later, here is the story of what happened to your exceptionally large-eared, unlikely hero. Timothy Basil Ering is the author and illustrator of THE STORY OF FROG BELLY RAT BONE, and he also created the cover image and interior black-and-white drawings for 33 SNOWFISH by Adam Rapp. Of his inspiration for the illustrations in The TALE OF DESPEREAUX, he says, My mother may have been a mouse in her past life, as I watched her save and help so many mice in our house while I was growing up. The illustrations I ve done of Despereaux Tilling are, in a way, my tribute to her. Timothy Basil Ering s artwork has appeared in books, magazines, theater sets, private murals, and fine art galleries.
- Author(s)Kate DiCamillo
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width130 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $81.72Trending at AU $84.85
- AU $59.00Trending at AU $71.44
- AU $57.83Trending at AU $59.36
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.23
- AU $51.99Trending at AU $80.40
- AU $22.35Trending at AU $25.77
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.