All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
About this product
- DescriptionIvan L. Preston, recognized as a preeminent scholar of the legal dimensions of American advertising, has written The Tangled Web They Weave for the ordinary consumer as well as for advertisers and trade regulators. His frank aim is to demonstrate how advertising can better serve its audience. Advertising, Preston points out, is full of falsity that is quite legal. Indeed, clever presentation of lies can make advertising entertaining to consumers, and Preston provides lively examples and anecdotes of such cases. The problem with falsity in advertising, he argues, is t so much with the bald lie as it is with deception. It is in this thicket of implied claims that he shows us the dangers and indicates the need for regulatory adjustment. Preston takes us down the slippery slope, from the high ground of honest product claims to the unscrupulous bottom-of-the-barrel claims that are wholly false. Along the way he documents the subtle misrepresentations, half and lesser truths, and exploitations of our gullibility that abound in contemporary advertising. The cases he describes are sometimes comic and sometimes shocking and infuriating. Preston's agenda is t merely to cry Foul! He sees advertising as performing t only a legitimate but an important public service. It is in all our interests, therefore, to perfect and t just pillory. As he concludes, It is the time to see a way to serve society by creating a standard of personal and corporate credibility under which all advertisers, regulators, and consumers should want to live.
- Author BiographyIvan L. Preston is the Journal Communications Heyse Professor of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Wisconsin Madison. He has been honored three times by the American Academy of Advertising, including serving as its president. An expert witness and author of numerous articles on advertising law, he is the author of <i>The Great American Blow-Up: Puffery in Advertising and Selling</i>, also published by the University of Wisconsin Press.
- Author(s)Ivan L. Preston
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication01/09/1994
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Weight522 g
- Width229 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.