All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionWriter Michael Muhammad Knight coined the term taqwacore for his vel about a Muslim punk house in Buffalo, NY, which Knight initially distributed from the back of his car as a DIY photocopied zine. In time, the book found widespread publication through Automedia and garnered supporters, even inspiring the first woman-led prayer of a mixed-gender Muslim congregation in the United States in 2005. But something far grander was in the works; unbekwnst to Knight, a real Muslim punk scene was starting to emerge, based on the one he had imagined for the book. <br>Photographer Kim Badawi first met Knight around this time, and bore witness as the taqwacore phemen began to take hold. Beginning in 2006, Badawi traveled across the U.S., chronicling the burgeoning subculture and the musicians who had been spurred to action by Knight's creative vision. In 2007 he was invited to accompany the TaqwaTour, traveling to major cities across North America alongside bands including The Kominas and Secret Trial Five. As the genre continues to take shape and influence a rising generation of artists and intellectuals, Badawi's The Taqwacores stands as a photographic companion to the original text and an indispensable document of the making of a movement.
- PublisherpowerHouse Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication11/06/2009
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintpowerHouse Books,U.S.
- Content Note105
- Weight1075 g
- Width104 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.