All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1932, The Taxi-Dance Hall is Paul Goalby Cressey s fascinating study of Chicago s urban nightlife as seen through the eyes of the patrons, owners, and dancers-for-hire who frequented the city s toriously seedy taxi-dance halls. Taxi-dance halls, as the introduction tes, were social centers where men could come and pay to dance with a bevy of pretty, vivacious, and often mercenary women. Ten cents per dance was the usual fee, with half the proceeds going to the dancer and the other half to the owner of the taxi-hall. Cressey s study includes detailed maps of the taxi-dance districts, illuminating interviews with dancers, patrons, and owners, and vivid analyses of local attempts to reform the taxi-dance hall and its attendees. Cressey s study reveals these halls to be the distinctive urban consequence of tensions between a young, diverse, and ecomically independent population at odds with the restrictive regulations of Prohibition America. Thick with sexual vice, ethnic clashes, and powerful undercurrents of class, The Taxi-Dance Hall is a landmark example of Chicago sociology, perfect for scholars and history buffs alike.
- Author BiographyPaul Goalby Cressey (1900 1955) was a social scientist in the University of Chicago s Department of Sociology.
- Author(s)Paul Goalby Cressey
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication06/06/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note4 maps
- Weight404 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.