All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith an Introduction and Notes by Peter Merchant, Canterbury Christchurch University College The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a powerful and sometimes violent vel of expectation, love, oppression, sin, religion and betrayal. It portrays the disintegration of the marriage of Helen Huntingdon, the mysterious 'tenant' of the title, and her dissolute, alcoholic husband. Defying convention, Helen leaves her husband to protect their young son from his father's influence, and earns her own living as an artist. Whilst in hiding at Wildfell Hall, she encounters Gilbert Markham, who falls in love with her. On its first publication in 1848, Anne Bronte's second vel was criticised for being 'coarse' and 'brutal'. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall challenges the social conventions of the early nineteenth century in a strong defence of women's rights in the face of psychological abuse from their husbands. Anne Bronte's style is bold, naturalistic and passionate, and this vel, which her sister Charlotte considered 'an entire mistake', has earned Anne a position in English literature in her own right, t just as the youngest member of the Bronte family. This newly reset text is taken from a copy of the 1848 second edition in the Library of the Bronte Parsonage Museum and has been edited to correct kwn errors in that edition.
- Author BiographyWith an Introduction and Notes by Peter Merchant, Christchurch University College.
- Author(s)Anne Bronte
- PublisherWordsworth Editions Ltd
- Date of Publication06/09/1995
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleWordsworth Classics
- Place of PublicationHerts
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWordsworth Editions Ltd
- Weight269 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Keith Carabine
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.47
- AU $84.17Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $12.76Trending at AU $13.85
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $12.58Trending at AU $14.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.