Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
About this product
- DescriptionThis fascinating study explores the critical Volksstuecke of Franz Xaver Kroetz as they confront the crisis of contemporary West German theater in representing social reality and effecting social change. Focusing particularly on problems of intention and reception, the author undertakes a detailed analysis of representative plays from Maennersache to Furcht und Hoffnung der BRD. What emerges is an aesthetic model which subverts the very forms it employs, and derives its effectiveness from the tension between word and image, identification and distance, self-reflection and political commitment. Offering an interpretation which sees in Kroetz's plays a radical attempt to rescue the communicative and utopian dimensions of the theater, this study yields insight into the limits and possibilities of the Kroetzian Volksstueck, and locates it firmly within the context of contemporary aesthetic concerns.
- Author(s)Ingeborg C Walther
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/1991
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleStudies in Modern German Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number40
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1990
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight540 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.