All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSophocles' Theban Plays- Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone-lie at the core of the Western literary can. They are extensively translated, universally taught, and frequently performed. Chronicling the downfall of Oedipus, the legendary king of Thebes, and his descendants, the Theban Plays are as relevant to present-day thought about love, duty, patriotism, family, and war as when they were written 2,500 years ago. Recent translations of the plays, while linguistically correct, often fail to capture the beauty of Sophocles' original words. In combining the skills of a distinguished poet, Ruth Fainlight, and an eminent classical scholar, Robert J. Littman, this new edition of the Theban Plays is both a major work of poetry and a faithful translation of the original works. Thoughtful introductions, extensive tes, and glossaries frame each of the plays within their historical contexts and illuminate important themes, mythological roots, and previous interpretations. This elegant and uncommonly readable translation will make these seminal Greek tragedies accessible to a new generation of readers.
- Author BiographyRuth Fainlight is a noted British poet, short story writer, translator and librettist. Among her many honors are a 1987 Hawthornden Fellowship and the 1994 Cholmondeley Award for Poetry. Her libretto for the Royal Opera House's Garden Venture program of new opera was short-listed for the Laurence Olivier Award in 1992. Robert J. Littman is a professor of classics at the University of Hawaii and author of numerous books and articles in classical studies, including The Greek Experiment: Imperialism and Social Crisis 800-400 B.C.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication17/03/2009
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleJohns Hopkins New Translations from Antiquity
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note3, 1 charts, 1 maps, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight385 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byRuth Fainlight,Robert J. Littman
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.42Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $22.94
- AU $26.44Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $36.83Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.