All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe academic caveat Publish or Perish is t a new one, and for over a quarter of a century, The Thesis and the Book has come to the aid of graduate students in their quest for publication. The doctoral dissertation, usually the first book-length study completed by a scholar, is, however, only rarely publishable as a book. Understanding the differences between the two forms is a crucial part of one's education as a scholar and is equally important in appreciating the endeavours of scholarly publishers. The Thesis and the Book: A Guide for First-Time Academic Authors, revised and expanded in this second edition, will continue to provide the best overview of the process of revising a dissertation for publication. Drawing on the expertise of the contributors, all of whom are editors, publishers, and scholars themselves, the chapters present the rudimentary differences between a thesis and a book (including matters of purpose and audience), give guidance on the necessary stylistic, technical, and structural revisions to the dissertation, and offer advice to first-time authors who must t only revise their work to satisfy prospective publishers, but also learn a good deal of the ins and outs of scholarly publishing. The Thesis and the Book will continue to be of great value to graduating doctoral students seeking publication and to the faculty members who supervise these students. It will also be of value to acquisitions editors at scholarly presses, who must contend with the submission of revised dissertations for publication.
- Author BiographyEleanor Harman was the founding editor of Scholarly Publishing: A Journal for Authors and Publishers. Ian Montagnes was formerly Editor-in-Chief of University of Toronto Press. Siobhan McMenemy is an acquisitions editor at University of Toronto Press. Chris Bucci was formerly an acquisitions editor at University of Toronto Press.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication31/05/2003
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Weight160 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Edited byChris Bucci,Eleanor Harman,Ian Montagnes,Siobhan McMenemy
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.76
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.