The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training by Gail Tamases Fisher (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $53.04+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionExpanded Description: Teach your dog to think It is such a joy to work with a dog who proactively engages in behaviors while you build a relationship that will surprise you in its depth and versatility. Clicker training has proven to be the most effective means of developing a Thinking Dog, one who offers behaviors in anticipation of a reward rather than a dog who has been trained only to wait for his owner's commands. One of the biggest obstacles the new clicker trainer faces, however, is his or her own history of training and habits of working with a dog. But you can make the transition once you understand how dogs learn and the mechanisms of operant conditioning. Learn from author Gail Fisher's crossover experiences as well as those of the hundreds of students she has helped make the change over the past thirteen years. You will learn: How dog training has evolved over the past 100 years, the strengths and weaknesses of various training styles, and to what extent you can intergrate your previous methods with clicker training. The particular challenges you will face as you crossover from whatever style of training you have used in the past (compulsion, luring, etc.) to clicker training. The detailed nuts and bolts of clicker training - from getting a behavior started, to methods of rewarding, to reducing the need to click and treat over time while still getting the results you want. How to work with dogs trained with force or harsh methods and change them into behavior-offering dynamos. Experienced trainers applaud The Thinking Dog The Thinking Dog offers a wonderfully thoughtful guide to clicker training. Written with the more traditional trainer in mind, Gail Fisher's long experience and hard-won wisdom shine through in her logical approach. Clear explanations, practical exercises, and lovely real life examples (including photos) make for a refreshing treatment of clicker training. I highly recommended this book to all thinking trainers who share with Fisher her delight in watching a dog's mind turn on. The Thinking Dog is my new favorite clicker training book! Suzanne Clothier, author of Bones Would Rain from the Sky Gail Fisher's grasp of all subject matter pertaining to clicker training shines through in this book! It is obvious that she is a been there-done that crossover clicker trainer, understands the needs of someone who wants to make the switch, and can hold the trainer's hand throughout the process. The Thinking Dog is a great refresher course for the experienced clicker trainer too. Corally Burmaster, founder and editor of The Clicker Journal This is a must have book for anyone involved in dog training. Gail is a pioneer in the field of positive dog training and her own techniques have evolved over time as she has learned more about how dogs think and learn. This book provides a solid foundation for clicker training including answers to all the most challenging questions and paths around the most common obstacles. Robin K. Bennett, author of All About Dog Daycare, co-author of Off Leash Dog Play Gail Fisher has been training dogs professionally for over 30 years. She is the owner and founder of All Dogs Gym, one of the largest training centers in the country. Gail is the co-author of Training Your Dog and Teaching Dog Obedience Classes. She lives in Manchester, New Hampshire with her dogs, Can and Kochi, and two cats.
- Author BiographyGail Tamases Fisher is a professional dog trainer with more than 30 years experience.
- Author(s)Gail Tamases Fisher
- PublisherDogwise Publishing
- Date of Publication28/03/2009
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Place of PublicationWenatchee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDogwise Publishing
- Content Note500 B&W
- Weight680 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.