Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $56.50Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $51.50Free postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by lilaboti2011
- Est. delivery by 30 Oct
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
About this product
- DescriptionA cultural history of the Kathoey (Ladyboys), their role in Thai society and a biographical account of three kathoey and their lives. It is an description of the kathoey as they were traditionally received in Asian and Buddhist society and the changes brought about by Western tourism to the area, specifically the sex industry that has developed in Thailand. An accessible and fascinating description of a wide range of subjects: including the Buddhist concept of karma and sexuality, the biological consequences of trans-gender (why were a Thai basketball team all ladyboys?) and a history of trans-gender in other cultures around the world. Are the Kathoey a deviation or a third sex?
- Author BiographyRichard Totman is a respected British academic, lecturer in Psychology and the author of two previous books with Souvenir Press, Social Causes of Illness and Mind, Stress and Health.
- Author(s)Richard Totman
- PublisherSouvenir Press Ltd
- Date of Publication31/05/2003
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSouvenir Press Ltd
- Out-of-print date04/08/2014
- Content Note6ill.
- Weight354 g
- Width224 mm
- Height142 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.