All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough the lives of three kathoey, male transvestites, this introduction to transgender in Thailand places a cultural, historical, religious, biological, and psychological emphasis on international traditions of sexuality. A fascinating anthropological and sociological exploration, the context of transgender is detailed through the challenges and joys found in Manat, Lek, and Akorn as they travel through the social rites of passage to become kathoeys. As a part of the cultural landscape of Thailand, the kathoeys are a modern expression of an archaic tradition, and through these personal stories a wider discussion of transgender and the existence of a third sex in international societies emerges.
- Author BiographyRichard Totman is a former fellow of Linacre College, Oxford, and a lecturer in the department of experimental psychology at the University of Sussex. He subsequently became a theater director and taught for part of each year in Thailand.
- Author(s)Richard Totman
- PublisherSouvenir Press Ltd
- Date of Publication05/05/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSouvenir Press Ltd
- Content Note4 pages of black and white photographs
- Weight249 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.