All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.16
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.13
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
About this product
- Description'This England' is a celebration of 'Englishness' in the sixteenth century, explores the growing conviction of 'Englishness' through the rapidly developing English language; the reinforcement of cultural nationalism as a result of the Protestant Reformation; the national and international situation of England at a time of acute national catastrophe; and of Queen Elizabeth 1, the last of her line, remaining unmarried, refusing to even discuss the succession to her throne. Introducing students of the period to an aspect of history largely neglected in the current vogue for histories of the Tudors, Collinson investigates the rising role of English, of England's God-centredness, before focusing on the role of Elizabethans as citizens rather than mere subjects. It responds to a demand for a history which is less social than political, investigates what it meant to be a citizen of England, living through the 1570's and 1580's.
- Author BiographyPatrick Collinson is Regius Professor of Modern History at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of Trinity College.
- Author(s)Patrick Collinson
- PublisherManchester University Press
- Date of Publication12/07/2011
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitlePolitics, Culture and Society in Early Modern Britain
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintManchester University Press
- Weight617 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Series Edited byPeter Lake,Anthony Milton,Jason Peacey,Alexandra Gajda
- Format DetailsImitation cloth
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.