All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe death of Georgia goverr-elect Eugene Talmadge in late 1946 launched a constitutional crisis that ranks as one of the most unusual political events in U.S. history: the state had three active goverrs at once, each claiming that he was the true elected official. This is the first full-length examination of that episode, which wasn't just a crazy quirk of Georgia politics (though it was that) but the decisive battle in a struggle between the state's progressive and rustic forces that had continued since the onset of the Great Depression. In 1946, rural forces aided by the county unit system, Jim Crow intimidation of black voters, and the Talmadge machine's loyal 100,000 voters united to claim the goverrship. In the aftermath, progressive political forces in Georgia would shrink into obscurity for the better part of a generation. In this volume is the story of how the political, governmental, and Jim Crow social institutions t only defeated Georgia's progressive forces but forestalled their effectiveness for a decade and a half.
- Author BiographyCharles S. Bullock III is Richard B. Russell Professor of Political Science at the University of Georgia, USA and the author and editor of numerous books on American political culture, the South, and electoral politics. Scott E. Buchanan is an associate professor of political science at the Citadel. He is the author of Some of the People Who Ate My Barbecue Didn't Vote for Me: The Life of Georgia Governor Marvin Griffin. Ronald Keith Gaddie is chairman of the Department of Political Science at the University of Oklahoma, USA and the general editor of Social Sciences Quarterly.
- Author(s)Charles S. Bullock,Ronald Keith Gaddie,Scott E. Buchanan
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note10 black & white photographs, 7 maps
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.