CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionThe Thurber Connection presents observations and interesting events from various sources and covers the spectrum of Thurber life. Particularly interesting in The Thurber Connection is Victor Lucadello's narration - an Italian immigrant miner's son who documents his growing up experiences in Thurber. When Thurber shut down, people moved on to different parts of the United States. And today there are thousands of people scattered all over the states who have ancestral ties to Thurber. This book will certainly give them some idea of what their forbears went through when they first went to work in Thurber, Texas, USA in the early 1900s. The book tries to Set the Record Straight on some of the misperceptions and license some writers take when writing of Thurber. This is important to ensure that How Thurber was is more significant than trying to imagine what Thurber should have been like.
- Author BiographyThe author's family has been a part of the Thurber locale for over 115 years. His grandfather dug Thurber coal for 31 years (1890-1921). His mother, in all her 90 years, never lived farther than two miles from her birth place in Thurber. Today Leo Bielinski still maintains his grandfather's homestead in Mingus (Thurber Junction). With this background it is understandable why Bielinski is eager to preserve his Thurber heritage. In 1994 he was awarded the Texas Historical Commission's Award of Excellence in Preserving History. This award was presented for his work in restoring the 1000 grave Thurber Cemetery and for restoring and moving back to Thurber St. Barbara's Church, the train car which carried miners to work, the Thurber Band Stand and a typical miner's house. Via his web site thurbertexas.com he has helped hundreds of folks from all over the world with questions relating to this area which was once a world-leading coal producer.
- Author(s)Leo S Bielinski
- PublisherJoy Presswork Collection
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJoy Presswork Collection
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.