All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaul Griffiths's The Tilted Cup effects a multilayered translation, taking a series of eleven Japanese Noh plays and turning them into stories in English. The reader will encounter spirit-beings set free, lovers lost and found, dreams and desires fulfilled, lessons learned from nature, and always a longing for the infinite, as the long, slow drama of each Noh play is transformed into a short and moving tale. Interspersed and contrasting with the stories are ten photographs of contemporary Japan by John L. Tran that further explore the relation between theatricality and narrative, while offering hints of a very different vision of infinitude.
- Author BiographyPaul Griffiths worked for thirty years as a music critic in London and New York. His books include Modern Music and After, Let Me Tell You, and the libretto of Elliott Carter's only opera, What Next? John L. Tran is a British artist of Vietnamese descent, currently based in Tsukuba, Japan.
- Author(s)Paul Griffiths
- PublisherSylph Editions
- Date of Publication07/03/2014
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSylph Editions
- Content Note10 colour plates
- Weight134 g
- Width158 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Photographs byJohnatham Tran
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.37Trending at AU $30.92
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $56.63Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $7.48Trending at AU $12.42
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.08
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.