All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTrademarks play a fundamental role in our everyday lives as consumers, helping us to quickly choose the products we like and avoid those that we don't. Trademarks are also essential elements in a competitive market, allowing companies to build brand loyalty without fear of free-riding by competitors. Trademark laws thus diminish customer confusion, make communication between seller and buyer simple, and prevent unfairness. However, expanding legal protection, coupled with commercial bullying, have served to restrict, rather than promote, competition. The paradox lies in how we have dealt with the conflict: in our quest to promote competition, we have failed to adequately balance private interests (e.g., protection of business goodwill) with public interests (ensuring a robust, competitive market without restraints on trade). This book examines trademarks' conflicting legal and commercial boundaries. It concludes by suggesting principles and guidelines to help resolve the imbalance.
- Author BiographyCatherine M. Manley is qualified both as a U.S. attorney (California) and as a solicitor (England and Wales). She obtained her B.A. from Yale University, her J.D. from Stanford University, and her LL.M. from Philipps-Universitat Marburg, and was a research assistant at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School. She has practiced in Silicon Valley, London, Frankfurt, Hamburg, and Brussels.
- Author(s)Catherine M. Manley
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication25/02/2015
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleSchriften zum Medien-, Urheber- Und Wirtschaftsrecht
- Series Part/Volume Number20
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight690 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.