All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionThis best-seller is available for the first time in paperback. In the first chrological and gripping narrative of the events that crippled Phenix City, Alabama, Margaret Anne Barnes tells the true story of how ecomic hard times in the Depression led a mayor to barter immunity from prosecution to gamblers and gangsters in exchange for money to save the town from going into receivership. By mid-century, the criminal element managed to buy or infiltrate every office of government in the city. When their control was absolute, crime was beyond their commission, citizen safe, and constitutional right could be relied upon.
- Author BiographyMargaret Anne Barnes was the award winning author of A Buzzard Is My Best Friend and Murder in Coweta County , which went on to be released as a CBS made for television Movie-of-the-Week starring Andy Griffith and Johnny Cash.
- Author(s)Margaret Anne Barnes
- PublisherMercer University Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMercer University Press
- Out-of-print date12/01/2017
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.