Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionDeportations by train were critical in the Nazis' gecidal vision of the Final Solution of the Jewish Question. Historians have estimated that between 1941 and 1944 up to three million Jews were transported to their deaths in concentration and extermination camps. In his writings on the Final Solution, Raul Hilberg pondered the role of trains: How can railways be regarded as anything more than physical equipment that was used, when the time came, to transport the Jews from various cities to shooting grounds and gas chambers in Eastern Europe? This book explores the question by analyzing the victims' experiences at each stage of forced relocation: the round-ups and departures from the ghettos, the captivity in trains, and finally, the arrival at the camps. Utilizing a variety of published memoirs and unpublished testimonies, the book argues that victims experienced the train journeys as mobile chambers, comparable in importance to the more studied, fixed locations of persecution, such as ghettos and camps.
- Author BiographySimone Gigliotti is Senior Lecturer in History at Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand. Previously, she held a Charles H. Revson Fellowship at the Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum. Among other publications, she is the co-editor of The Holocaust: A Reader (Blackwell Publishing).
- Author(s)Simone Gigliotti
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication15/09/2010
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleWar and Genocide
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 13
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.