All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNowadays, politics is only one voice among many in the concert of social self-organization. Its function is to articulate the differentiated systems of our societies: it encourages their self-restraint, while at the same time restraining itself. Such a conception obviously threatens the primacy of the nation-state. While it is t necessarily disappearing, it must nevertheless cease to be thought of as a dominant principle of organization, and must assume its place in a system of regulation that proceeds on several levels. Distant from the anarchist or Marxist theories that herald the end of the state as it is from libertarian theories of the minimal state, the book illustrates that it is possible in the contemporary period to go beyond the alternatives of dirigisme and neoliberal spontaneity. However, such a transformation can only prove effective through two conditions: we must first reject the enduring opposition between Right and Left, and second, we must invent an anti-state social democracy that is able in its own right to glean the most it can out of the liberal legacy. This book combines philosophical technicality, clarity and elegance of writing in an attempt to provide politics with meaning again, particularly in an era where discourse about its powerlessness abounds.
- Author BiographyDaniel Innerarity is Professor of Philosophy and Ikerbasque Research Professor (Universidad del Pais Vasco). He is the Director of the Instituto de Gobernanza Democratica. In Spain, this book was awarded the National Literature Prize. It has been translated into various languages. Daniel Innerarity is the author of other books: Etica de la hospitalidad, La sociedad invisible, El nuevo espacio publico, El futuro y sus enemigos. The French magazine Le Nouvel Observateur included him in a list of the 25 great thinkers of the world.
- Author(s)Daniel Innerarity
- PublisherPresses Interuniversitaires Europeennes
- Date of Publication08/10/2010
- Series TitleDiversitas
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- First Published2010
- ImprintPresses Interuniversitaires Europeennes
- Weight240 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.