All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.37Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.18Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.57Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionAt a time when transport is high on the political agenda and government decision-making is being vigorously scrutinised, there is a need for an incisive and accessible analysis of the key policy issues. This book is a highly readable introduction to the transport debate from two experts in the field. The authors celebrate the advantages of a modern transport system, but argue that years of poorly conceived and executed transport policy have resulted in Britain's transport system being far worse than it should be. They show that a substandard transport system creates ecomic, social and environmental costs, but demonstrate how these can be addressed through affordable and politically deliverable changes. Using a refreshingly vel approach, Shaw and Docherty use the familiar idea of the journey as the basis for their discussion. The book follows members of the Smith family as they uncover a wide array of transport issues, including why the problems we all encounter as we travel around actually come about; which policy trade-offs were responsible for creating them in the first place; what impacts we all have to suffer as a result; and what we can do to fix them. This lively and engaging approach will make the book ideal for a wide readership.
- Author BiographyJon Shaw is Professor and Head of Geography at Plymouth University. He was Associate Editor of the Journal of Transport Geography and has advised numerous bodies including the House of Commons Transport Select Committee. Iain Docherty is Head of Management and Professor of Public Policy and Governance at the University of Glasgow. He was a non-executive director of Transport Scotland and has advised a range of institutions in the UK, the US, Canada and Sweden.
- Author(s)Iain Docherty,Jon Shaw
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication11/12/2013
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitlePolicy and Politics in the Twenty-First Century
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations, 10 black & white tables, 28 black & white halftones
- Weight290 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.