All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the unrecognised prevalence of sadomasochism and perverse thinking in personal relationships as well as the public domain, and discusses the way it contributes to the culture of the victim.The first part traces the origins of perverse pathology and how it operates in obstructing emotional development and producing dysfunctional relationships. This is put in the context of hysteria, exhibitionism, voyeurism, and projective identification and is illustrated with clinical material drawn from the author's thirty years of psychoanalytical practice as well as experiences of couple- and family-therapy and educational consultations.The second half of the book examines current modes of thinking and belief systems with particular emphasis on tribal, basic-assumption mentality. The author examines the legacy of Cartesian dualism and the Enlightenment in contributing to the marginalization of feminine values in favour of negative, masculine control. Fundamentalist belief, the 'New Atheism' and feminism are subjected to particular scrutiny for evidence of perverse thinking leading to internal contradictions and the manifestation of these in the consulting room is illustrated with clinical material. In particular, State interference in family life, sexuality, and personal relationships is discussed and the resultant consequences both for erosion of civil liberties and interference in personal, emotional development. The final section consists of longer case histories.
- Author BiographyJ.F. Miller is an analyst, psychotherapist, and child and family psychologist. He was educated at Marlborough College, Wiltshire, and St Catherine's College, Oxford, with postgraduate training in educational psychology at the Tavistock Clinic. He has held teaching posts in primary, secondary, and special education. He is County Psychologist to West Oxfordshire and has created and worked in various consultancy posts to special schools and hostels in Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, and Wiltshire. He has also consultant and residential social worker experience in Belgium, France, and Norway.
- Author(s)J. F. Miller
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication09/09/2013
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Weight499 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.